Kenneth C. Anderson, MD
Professor, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Medical Director, Kraft Family Blood Center,
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Physician, Oncology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Frederick R. Appelbaum, MD
Director, Clinical Research Division
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
Head and Professor, Medical Oncology Division
University of Washington School of Medicine
John P. Leonard, MD
Richard T. Silver Distinguished Professor of Hematology and Medical Oncology
Clinical Director, Center for Lymphoma and Myeloma
Director, Hematology/Oncology Clinical Research Program
Professor of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
New York Presbyterian Hospital
New York, New York
Sagar Lonial, MD
Assistant Professor of Hematology and Oncology
Director, Translational Research B-cell Malignancy Program
Winship Cancer Institute, The Emory Clinic “C”
Kanti R. Rai, MD
Chief, Division of Hematology-Oncology
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
New Hyde Park, NY
Professor of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
David S. Snyder, MD
Professor, Hemaology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
Division of Hematology & Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center
Richard M. Stone, MD
Clinical Director, Adult Leukemia Program
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Associate Physician, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Jasmine M. Zain, MD
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center
New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Hospital
New York, NY
Release date: December 30, 2008
Expiration date: December 30, 2009
Estimated time to complete activity: 6.5 hours
This activity is intended for physicians who will benefit from a review and update regarding the latest advances in the diagnosis and treatment of hematologic malignancies.
Upon successful completion of this educational activity, participants should be better able to:
- Review the existing and future treatment strategies for adult patients with leukemia and myelodysplasia
- Assess the risk factors and treatment options of patients with malignant lymphoma
- Discuss the current modern treatment of Multiple Myeloma and CML
- Describe novel agents that are being developed for the treatment of hematologic malignanices
The City of Hope National Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The City of Hope National Medical Center designates this educational activity for a maximum of 6.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.™ Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The City of Hope National Medical Center adheres to ACCME Essential Areas, Standards for Commercial Support, and Policies regarding industry support of continuing medical education. Disclosure of the commercial relationships of everyone in a position to control content of an educational activity will be made at the activity. Speakers are also required to openly disclose discussion of any off-label, experimental, or investigational use of drugs or devices in their presentations.
The following City of Hope National Medical Center CME Committee members/planners have indicted they have nothing to disclose: Lucille Leong, MD, Crystal Saavedra, Anna Pawlowska, MD, Karl Gaal, MD, Mary Mendelsohn, Jo Hanson, Christina Eckhart, Khanh Nguyen, MD, Paul Lin, MD, and Teresa Ball.
The following planners have indicated a conflict with the following corporate organizations:
- Jean Kagan discloses that she is a stock shareholder with Amgen/Zimmer
- Robert Morgan, MD, discloses that he is a stock shareholder with Abbott
- Fouad Kandeel discloses that he is a consultant for MicoCHIPS, Inc. and he has other financial or material interest with Medtronic Minimed
- Ravi Bhatia, MD, discloses that he is a consultant with Novartis
- J. Martin Hogan, MD, discloses that he has other financial or material interest with Johnson & Johnson
- Matthew Loscalzo discloses that he is a member of the speakers bureau with Lilly Pharma.
Any potential conflicts relative to the previous disclosure have been resolved.
CJP Medical Communications Discloure
The employees of CJP Medical Communications have no financial relationships to disclose.
In accordance with the ACCME’s Standards for Commercial Support, all CME providers are required to disclose to the activity audience the relevant financial relationships of everyone in a position to control content of an educational activity. A relevant financial relationship is a relationship in any amount occurring in the last 12 months with a commercial interest whose products or services are discussed in the CME activity content over which the individual has control. Relationship information appears below:
- Kenneth C. Anderson, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker and/or consultant for Celgene, Millennium Pharmaceuticals and Novartis.
- Frederick R. Appelbaum, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker and/or consultant for Kanisa Pharma.
- John P. Leonard, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker and/or consultant for Biogen Idec, Celgene, Cephalon, Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, and Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
- Sagar Lonial, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker and/or consultant for Celgene and Millennium Pharmaceuticals; has received research support from Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
- Kanti R. Rai, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker for Bayer, Celgene, Cephalon, Genentech; is a consultant for GlaxoSmithKline.
- David S. Snyder, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker and/or consultant for Bristol-Myers Squibb and Novartis.
- Richard M. Stone, MD: Discloses he has received honoraria from and is a speaker Celgene: is a consultant for Eisai. Merck and Ovation Pharmaceuticals.
- Jasmine M. Zain, MD: Discloses she has received honoraria from and is a speaker for Merck; is a consultant for Eisai and Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
This activity has been developed through independent educational grants received from:
Allos Therapeutics, Biogen Idec, Bristol–Myers Squibb Company, Celgene, Cephalon, Merck, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Ortho Biotech
Method of Participation
There are no fees for participating in this CME activity. To receive credit during the period December 30, 2008 to December 30, 2009, participants must (1) read the learning objectives and disclosure statements, (2) study the educational activity, (3) complete the posttest, and (4) complete the activity evaluation form, including the certificate information section.
The posttest can be accessed at the end of the activity. Please e-mail any questions to email@example.com.
The Internet was selected as the instructional format to accommodate the learning preferences of a significant portion of the target audience.
Carden Jennings Publishing and the City of Hope present this resource for educational purposes only. Participants are expected to use their own expertise and judgment while engaged in the practice of medicine. Please consult full prescribing information for any drugs or procedures discussed within this activity. The views and opinions expressed in these presentations are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the co-sponsors, supporter, or publisher. Although great care has been taken in compiling and checking the information given in this publication to ensure accuracy, the authors, City of Hope and Carden Jennings Publishing and their servants or agents shall not be responsible or in any way liable for the continued currency of the information or for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in this publication, whether arising from negligence or otherwise howsoever or for any consequences arising therefrom.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Uses
This reference may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. For additional information about approved uses, including approved indications, contraindications, and warnings, please refer to the prescribing information for each product, or consult the Physician’s Desk Reference.
All rights reserved; for personal use only. No part of this presentation may be translated, reproduced or transmitted by any means or in any type of media form including electronic, mechanical photocopying, recording, broadcasting, or otherwise without prior permission from the publisher.